Wednesday, July 13, 2005

All-Star Irony

Back in the day, when I was young and still cared about baseball, I was pretty much the only person in the world who cared at all about the All-Star game. The trouble with this was that I was a fan of the American League and from 1964 to 1982 the American League won exactly one midseason classic ( in 1971).

This era pretty much outlined my interest in the game. I started taking an interest (i.e., first collected baseball cards) in 1967 and by 1982 my interest had pretty much been spent. But during the years that I was interested, the All-Star game was an almost completely uninterrupted disappointment.

The irony comes, of course, from the fact that now the American League cannot be beaten -- and it really means almost nothing to me. I didn't even watch the game.

The last eight times there has been a winner (remember the misbegotten 2002 tie?), it has been the junior circuit on top. The AL is 13-3-1 in the last 17 years, almost as thorough a domination as the NL held back in the day.

And I really couldn't care less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home