Friday, August 03, 2007

Nightmare Scenario

I'm sure he only did it once or twice, but when I was a wee lad my brother would make a great show of threatening to jump out of the car every time we would go over a large bridge (most likely the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit, but my memory is a little hazy on this).

The upshot is that it took me a very, very long time to not freak out a little bit every time I had to cross a significant body of water on a bridge -- driving, biking, walking, whatever.

So the recent news from Minneapolis was especially sickening. Not only for the obviously distressing thought of those poor souls who didn't make it home on Wednesday night, but the even more distressing thought of what their last few seconds must have been like.

Driving off the edge of a buckling abyss into the roiling waters (and they are roiling at that point in the river) ... yeesh. Hence the very literal title of this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home